If you’re an Etsy seller, you know that ranking high in Etsy’s internal search engine is key to generating traffic and sales. In this article, you’ll learn all you need to know about Etsy SEO.
Here you’ll find tips on how to optimize your store for better rankings based on the platform’s own inner workings. We’ll start by explaining how the Etsy algorithm functions, and then we’ll give you specific tips on how to improve your store’s SEO. Follow these tips, and you’ll see a noticeable increase in your Etsy sales and traffic!
- Choose an SEO-Ready Shop Title
- Find the Right Keywords for Your Product Descriptions
- Prioritize Keywords—But Avoid Repeating Them
- Use All 13 Etsy Product Tags
- Categorize Your Products Properly
- Keep Your Etsy Listings Up-to-Date
- Showcase Your Products With High-Quality Photos
- Advertise Your Etsy Store to Get Links
- Always Ensure a Great Customer Experience
- Join the Etsy Forums
How Do Etsy Rankings Work?
There are many factors that influence an Etsy store’s position in the search results.
Some of these include your items’ titles and descriptions, the keywords you use in them, the frequency at which you add new items, and the amount of traffic your shop receives.
Your Items’ Titles and Descriptions
The titles and descriptions of your items are among the most important factors in determining your Etsy ranking. As a rule, both should be clear and concise, and they also need to include relevant keywords. Additionally, try to include as much detail as possible in your descriptions so that potential buyers will know exactly what they’re getting.
The Keywords You Use in Your Titles and Descriptions
Using relevant keywords in your titles and descriptions is essential for optimizing your Etsy ranking. When potential buyers search for items, Etsy uses those keywords to determine which shops and items to display in the search results. Therefore, it’s important to choose your keywords carefully and use them throughout your title and description.
How Often You Add New Items to Your Shop
Adding new items to your shop on a regular basis is also important for Etsy search engine optimization. This is because the site’s algorithms favor shops that are constantly adding new and fresh content. So, if you want to increase your Etsy traffic and boost your ranking in the process, make sure to add new items to your shop regularly.
How Much Traffic Your Shop Receives
Finally, the amount of traffic your shop receives also impacts your Etsy ranking. As a rule, the more popular your store is, the higher you’ll show up in the search results. Thus, to improve your ranking, use social media, marketing campaigns, and other means to drive traffic to your shop.
How to Get More Traffic on Etsy: 10 Pro Tips
Once you decide to turn your Etsy shop idea into reality and you understand how Etsy search works, here are ten expert tips on optimizing your store for better rankings.
1. Choose an SEO-Friendly Etsy Shop Title
Your Etsy shop title is one of the most important factors in determining your Etsy ranking. Make sure that the title is clear and concise, and be sure to incorporate relevant keywords.
Here are a few tips for choosing an SEO-ready Etsy shop title:
- Use keywords that potential buyers are likely to search for.
- Keep it short and sweet—avoid long, drawn-out titles.
- Make it descriptive—potential buyers should know what your shop is all about from the title alone.
2. Find the Best Keywords for Your Etsy Product Descriptions
When writing product descriptions, it’s crucial to include relevant keywords. Etsy uses those keywords to determine which shops and items to display in the search results, so by including them in your descriptions, you’ll improve your odds of being found by potential buyers.
While conducting your Etsy keyword research, here’s what to keep in mind:
- Think about what potential buyers might search for.
- Use keywords that are specific to your product.
- Research other shops in your category and see which keywords they’re using.
3. Prioritize Keywords—But Avoid Repeating Them
As mentioned, you should always include keywords in your product descriptions, but their placement could also play a key role. The most relevant keywords should appear at the beginning of your descriptions to ensure your store’s high ranking in the Etsy shop search.
It’s also important not to use the same keywords over and over again. Keyword repetition is generally considered a bad SEO practice and Etsy’s algorithms penalize stores for it.
If you want to find as many useful keywords as possible, here are a few Etsy SEO tips:
- Use long-tail keywords. These are specific, niche keywords that potential buyers are likely to search for.
- Research related keywords. There may be other keywords that are relevant to your product but aren’t included in your original list.
- Use synonyms and variations of your main keywords. This will help you avoid keyword repetition while still including relevant keywords in your description.
4. Use All 13 Etsy Product Tags
When listing a product on Etsy, you have the opportunity to add up to 13 product tags. These tags help Etsy determine which shops and items to display in the search results, and you should use as many of them as you can to ensure users have no problem finding your product.
Finding 13 tags for a single item may prove difficult, but the following tips might help:
- Use a mix of broad and specific tags. Start with general tags (e.g., product type) and move toward something more specific (e.g., a particular product feature).
- Don’t use the same tag more than once. You can use the same word in multiple tags, though. For example, you can use “messenger bag” and “canvas bag” in the same listing.
- Don’t confuse tags with keywords. Whereas tags help the platform categorize stores and items, keywords are what users type in the Etsy search bar.
5. Categorize Your Products Properly
While organizing your Etsy store, it’s important to categorize your products properly. This is because Etsy uses those categories to determine which shops and items to display in the search results. So, by correctly categorizing your products, you’ll improve your odds of ranking highly in those categories.
Here are a few tips for properly categorizing your products:
- Research popular categories and find those that are most relevant to your products.
- Use the most specific category possible.
- Don’t use more than one category per product.
6. Keep Your Etsy Listings Up-to-Date
It’s important to keep your Etsy product listings up-to-date because the platform uses the info in those listings to determine which shops and items to display in the Etsy store search results.
When updating your Etsy listings, here are a few things to do:
- Keep your prices up to date.
- Regularly update your inventory.
- Remove sold out items from your listings.
- Always use the most relevant keywords in your titles and descriptions.
7. Showcase Your Products With High-Quality Photos
Etsy is a visual platform, so it’s important to include high-quality photos in your product listings. By doing so, you’ll improve the chances of people clicking on your listing in the search results.
When taking photographs of your products, consider the following:
- Use a tripod to avoid blurry photos.
- Use natural lighting whenever possible.
- Take close-up shots and include multiple angles.
- Edit your photos to make them look their best.
8. Advertise Your Etsy Store to Get Links
Advertising your store and getting links to your Etsy store and product listings could help improve your ranking and get you more potential buyers. After all, links are a vital component of SEO for Etsy because they help Etsy determine the relevance and popularity of listings.
Some of the ways to advertise your store and get links include the following:
- Marketing techniques like blogging, social media, and email marketing
- Affiliate programs to promote your product on partner blogs and websites
- Asking friends, family members, and social media contacts to link to your store
- Generating an Etsy referral link that unlocks exclusive perks to first-time buyers
9. Always Ensure a Great Customer Experience
Positive reviews and feedback are among the factors Etsy uses to determine which shops and items to display in the search results. By ensuring a great customer experience, you’ll not only earn repeat customers but also improve your Etsy ranking.
Here are a few tips for providing a great customer experience:
- Respond to all customer inquiries promptly.
- Keep your promises and meet all deadlines.
- Offer discounts and promotions regularly.
- If possible, provide free shipping.
- Send thank-you notes and follow-up emails.
Customer experience has an invaluable effect on the success of your Etsy shop.
10. Join the Etsy Forums
The Etsy Forums are a great place to learn more about Etsy and how to increase your Etsy traffic. By joining the forums, you’ll be able to connect with other Etsy sellers and learn from their experiences. You’ll also have early access to the latest announcements and get a chance to seek advice from Etsy’s seasoned sellers on any issue you may have.
Etsy SEO: Our Takeaway
Etsy is a great platform for creative entrepreneurs to sell their products—and with the right SEO strategy, your store can be found by more shoppers. Be sure to keep your listings up-to-date, enhance them with high-quality photos, and promote your store to get links. Most importantly, ensure a great customer experience so that buyers will return and recommend you to others.
These and other tips we’ve shared should help you get started on the path to better search engine visibility.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does Etsy SEO work?
Etsy’s search engine relies on a number of factors to determine which stores and products to display in search results. Some of the factors that Etsy takes into account when ranking stores and products include relevance, recency, popularity, and price. You can influence these factors by optimizing your store and listings according to Etsy’s best practices.
What is the difference between a shop name and a shop title on Etsy?
An Etsy shop name is the name you choose for your shop when opening your account, while an Etsy shop title is the title that appears in search results. Think of the shop name as your username and shop title as your display name on the site.
An effective shop name will help customers remember your shop and increase brand awareness, but it doesn’t necessarily have to include keywords. On the other hand, an effective shop title should include relevant keywords to improve your ranking. You can change both your shop name and title anytime you want from the Shop Manager page.
How to edit your shop name on Etsy?
To edit your shop name on Etsy, log in to your account and do the following:
- Click on Shop Manager.
- Then click on Settings.
- And then click on Info & Appearance.
- Next to your shop name, click on Change.
- Enter your new shop name and click Save.
Keep in mind that your shop name can contain up to 20 characters. You can only use letters and numbers in it—spaces and punctuation aren’t allowed, but capitalization is.
How long does it take for Etsy to index changes?
It typically takes Etsy 24 hours to index new listings and changes to existing listings. However, if you make a lot of changes or add a large number of new listings all at once, it can take longer for Etsy to process and index all the changes. In these cases, it can take up to 72 hours for all the changes to be reflected in Etsy’s search results. And if you’ve only just created your store but can’t find it in the search results, don’t worry—Etsy can take up to 14 days to index a new store.
How often are Etsy stats updated?
Etsy stats are updated every few minutes, so you always have the most accurate information about your store’s performance. You can track your progress by monitoring your traffic and conversion rate over time. If you see a sudden drop in traffic or conversions, it’s likely that something has changed with your Etsy SEO, and you’ll need to adjust your strategy.