No one wants to sink their time and resources into a feature that won’t return results in a world where digital trends blow up and die out faster than bedazzled boots.
So to that effect, we’ve collected the latest Instagram Stories statistics to help you see why Stories have become such a popular way to connect with followers.
Do you want to boost your sales figures for 2020? Then take a look at these mesmerizing facts Instagram Stories for business and beyond!
Let’s dive right in.
Fascinating Instagram Stories Stats (Editor's Pick)
- Over 500 million accounts actively use Instagram Stories every day.
- 1 in 3 daily Instagram users become more interested in a product after seeing it on Instagram Stories.
- Brands reported a 75% completion rate on their Instagram Stories engagement.
- 60% of businesses use an interactive element in their Instagram Stories posts.
- 55.4% of influencers prefer to use Instagram Stories for their sponsored campaigns.
- Daily visitors spent an average of 20 minutes watching IGTV videos in 2018.
- 19% of a brand’s impressions on Instagram come from Instagram Stories.
- US marketers allocated 31% of their Instagram ad budget to Stories in 2018.
General Instagram Stories Stats 2019
Let’s start this off with some of the most interesting Instagram usage statistics for 2019. These show how popular this feature has become and should set the tone for the platform going into 2020.
1. A third of the most-viewed stories on Instagram are from businesses.
Instagram Stories have proven to be a surprisingly versatile method of online storytelling thanks to the many additional features that Instagram introduced over the span of the last four years.
This has given enterprises the incentive to be creative with their presentation and added a humanizing effect in juxtaposition to the more impersonal brand posts.
It also helps that these stories show up first in an Instagrammer’s feed as well as a company’s profile through the Story highlights feature.
2. Over 500 million accounts actively use Instagram Stories every day.
The amount of Instagram Stories daily active users coincides very closely with Instagram’s general daily active users.
This means that most of the people who use Instagram every day are also looking at the Instagram Stories in their feed. It paints a great picture for the future success of those who are actively using this medium.
3. 1 in 3 daily Instagram users say they became more interested in a product after seeing it on Instagram Stories.
(Facebook for Business)
Facebook asked Instagrammers in the UK, US, Indonesia, and Brazil what makes them more interested in a product after seeing it in an Instagram story. Their responses concur a lot with the same type of content that makes normal feed ads so effective.
Either way, it’s evident that whatever companies are doing with their Instagram stories right now, they should stick with it because it is clearly working.
4. Business accounts create Instagram Stories posts for an average of 10.4 days per month.
Sports-related accounts are the most active Stories posters at an average of 13.7 days a month, while brand accounts tend to stick to around 8.7 days.
But here’s the kicker:
According to Buffer, there aren’t any brands that post a story every day – yet. That seems like a good opportunity gap just waiting to get filled.
5. Brands reported a 75% completion rate on their Instagram Stories engagement.
Instagram is yet to release any similar stats for 2019, but Instagram Stories stats 2018 already paint a very promising picture.
Story completion rates went up by 12% from 2017, proving that people are becoming more interested in watching Instagram stories from the first frame to the last.
Best of all, Instagram Story engagement statistics will likely continue to increase as this platform continues to gain popularity.
6. Stories that are posted between 7 pm and 1 am EST see the best completion rates from Instagram Stories users.
The best time to post an Instagram story will vary for everyone since it depends on so many factors. But it still helps to have a rough window to work with – enter Delmondo’s study.
This social insights company looked at thousands of Instagram Stories and came to the conclusion that the most engagement happens between 7 at night and 1 in the morning.
The reason for this could be that most people have more free time during those hours.
The Latest Instagram Stories Trends
Next up, let’s take a deep dive into the latest Instagram Stories facts and figures. These should be particularly exciting if you’re looking to make a bigger splash with your Instagram follower and engagement metrics.
7. 60% of businesses use an interactive element in their Instagram Stories posts.
Instagram has brought a lot of interactive elements to their story feature that other story-based platforms (like Snapchat) lack.
From polls and hashtags to questions and stickers, there are a lot of options for Instagrammers who want to connect with their followers on a deeper level.
Clearly, companies have made ample use of this engaging feature.
8. 130 million Instagram accounts tap on a shopping tag (available in Stories) every month to learn more about products.
(Facebook for Business)
When Instagrammers tap on a Story post, they’re already hooked and willing to see the content.
Organic interactions like these make it much more likely that a consumer will be willing to buy a product.
Instagram statistics like these show the power of organic reach when it comes to selling products online.
9. 55.4% of influencers preferred to use Instagram Stories for their sponsored campaigns in 2018.
Influencers are always looking for the best ways to engage with their followers. And these influencer marketing stats show that Stories can be a powerful way to achieve that goal.
Think about it:
What better way to get people excited about a campaign than through a series of rapid-fire Story frames versus a regular feed post.
10. The highest user exit rate for Stories happens between two and three posts per day.
Story engagement is a major reason for this feature’s existence in the first place since users have to actively click on a story to see it.
No wonder influencers and companies are looking for the best ways to get their audiences hooked in the first few seconds of an Instagram Story.
Because if they don’t, they will likely lose them between the second and third frames of the story.
11. Instagram users upload a whopping 400 million Instagram Stories a day.
Those are a lot of Stories to compete with for views, but the brilliance of the 24-hour mechanism ensures that there’s a constant feed of new content.
Plus, it’s still way less content to compete with than regular Instagram feed posts.
12. Videos have a higher retention rate than images do on Instagram Stories.
A higher tap forward rate indicates that a person is bored with the content and moves on.
Much like everywhere else on the internet, video is performing better on Instagram Stories. Images have a 5.65% higher tap forward rate when compared to videos.
Stunning IGTV Statistics
IGTV is Instagram’s long-form video platform introduced in June 2018. This standalone video player features heavily on the explore tab on the app and allows videos that run up to an hour long.
13. Three months after it launched, IGTV had 400+ million monthly viewers and 75 million daily viewers.
Part of the reason for this could be attributed to the popularity of Instagram and how hard Facebook kept pushing IGTV videos in the explore tab.
But IGTV also has its own separate app. Unfortunately, there aren’t any independent Instagram TV stats available to compare the IGTV app’s individual success.
14. Daily visitors spent an average of 20 minutes watching IGTV videos in 2018.
It makes sense that IGTV viewers would watch these videos for a longer period of time because on average, these are longer videos.
Facebook basically created IGTV as an answer to YouTube’s long-format videos, only with a preference for vertical mobile videos.
15. Only 17.8% of Instagram users watch IGTV videos.
At least these are the last known in IGTV stats for 2018. Instagram is yet to release any updated IGTV stats for 2019, but viewership has likely increased in the meantime.
IG recently released a new feature where IGTV videos show up in people’s feeds as well.
Instagram Stories vs Posts
Instagram feed posts have been around since the very beginning of Instagram, but Stories are a relatively new feature. Let’s see what the latest IG stories stats tell us about how it’s holding up against the more traditional posting method.
16. The average reach rate for Instagram Stories is 8% versus the reach rate for news feed posts, which is 24%.
This isn’t a definitive indication of what everyone’s Stories reach looks like, but it does provide a ballpark for what people can expect.
Nevertheless, this makes sense since Stories don’t have the longevity of feed posts, and there are fewer Stories posted in general.
Pair that with Instagram stories usage statistics, and it’s clear that those using this feature still come out on top.
17. 19% of a brand’s impressions on Instagram come from Instagram Stories.
Having almost one in five impressions come from Stories might not sound like a big deal. But in reality, the brands that use this feature are winning.
Not only are they reaching their audience through more than one source (Stories and feed), but they’re also creating entirely organic impressions – something that’s hard to achieve these days.
18. Brands choose Instagram Stories above their news feed 46% of the time to publish a post on the platform.
Carefully curated feed content is still preferred most of the time by brands, but Instagram Stories usage stats show that Stories come in at a very close second.
This means that brands are making Stories a definitive part of their marketing strategies.
Instagram Swipe Up Ads
The swipe up feature is a pretty big deal because it provides businesses with the ability to add a link directly in a Stories post. This is the only place outside of the profile description where anyone can add a clickable link.
The only caveat is that this feature is only available to accounts with more than 10 000 followers.
19. 15.3% of Instagram influencers use the swipe up feature in their sponsored campaigns.
Influencer campaigns have grown to become a staple in any well-oiled marketing strategy, and Instagram stories statistics suggest influencer activity has flourished on the platform this past year.
Many savvy influencers make use of Instagram Stories as part of their campaigns. IG stories statistics show that whenever they link directly to a product, it is often through the swipe up feature.
20. US marketers allocated 31% of their Instagram ad budget to Stories in 2018.
One of the more interesting shifts in recent Instagram Stories statistics was the amount of ad spend by US marketers. Instagram Stories has been around since 2016, but ads were first introduced later in 2017.
So swipe up ads haven’t been around for that long on Instagram, but marketers are already seeing the value in this feature if they’re spending such a big chunk of their budget on it.
The Bottom Line
Why should businesses and influencers use Instagram Stories?
Here’s the deal:
These Instagram Stories stats show that there’s a lot of potential for reaching followers organically, which is a chance that most brands should jump at.
Just remember to compare Story metrics with shopping cart abandonment statistics to get an accurate picture of consumer behavior.
Stories also provide a way for brands and influencers to connect with their followers on a deeper level by providing new engagement opportunities.
This gets even better:
Stories are still a fairly new feature, and these astonishing Instagram Stories statistics show that brands aren’t using the feature to the full yet.