Content is king today because it drives a significant portion of the market. And the most engaging content is video-based. When it comes to videos, there are not many platforms that can beat YouTube.
So, if you are looking to drive more traffic to your website through video content, using YouTube is a critical social media marketing tactic, and YouTube demographics have a lot to show.
That’s why we decided to gather all these facts and figures with you. They will enable you to drive a lot more traffic and engage a lot many people.
YouTube User Demographics Fascinating Facts (Editor’s Choice)
- YouTube has more than 2 billion monthly users.
- It is the preferred choice of the 18-to-49 age group.
- Over 15.5% of global visitors are US-based.
- YouTube is available in over 90 countries and in more than 80 languages.
- More than 81% of American parents use YouTube for children’s content.
- It is a news source for more than 18% of adults in the United States.
- YouTube will earn approximately $5.5 billion in 2020 under ad revenue in the US alone.
General YouTube Demographics 2019
1. YouTube has over 2 billion users monthly.(Variety) Take a moment to digest this stat! You can drive so much traffic if your content is up to it. According to the source, these users spent more than 250 million hours daily in 2019 to watch video content on their devices. No wonder YouTube is becoming a new primetime centerpiece. And the viewership grew from 1.9 billion in 2018. That’s definitely a number that you need to keep in mind to develop your next content strategy. That’s not all!
2. Over 70% of the watch-time comes from mobiles.(Variety) As it turns out, more than two-thirds of the watch-time is driven by mobile phones! Now, this number comes from the data that YouTube collects itself. With this kind of momentum, advertisers and agencies need to seriously think about spending on YouTube instead of on various TV channels. So, you need to think the same way as well!
YouTube Users by Age
3. 8 out of 10 people between 18 and 49 watch YouTube monthly.(ThinkWithGoogle) The demographics of YouTube suggest the number is continuously growing in recent years. In fact, no other cable TV or broadcast network reaches more people aged between 18 and 49. As a result, TV viewership has been dipping years slowly but steadily in recent years. What’s more, the number of people who use their televisions to watch YouTube has doubled in recent years.
4. 6 out of 10 people prefer video platforms like YouTube instead of TV.(ThinkWithGoogle) Here is another jaw-dropper for you: According to the latest stats, half of the viewers under 32 won’t subscribe to TV service by 2025! YouTube is a true juggernaut on mobile devices. And it does that without breaking a sweat! Just among the millennials, this platform comprises more than two-thirds of all the premium videos watched online across different devices.
5. More than 90% of Americans internet users between 18 and 44 use YouTube.(HubSpot) US internet users aged between 18 and 44 love to watch YouTube, a study on YouTube age demographics reveals. Moreover, most of these YouTube users love to do this on the go. Here is more!
6. More than 80% of internet users in America are between 45 and 64.(HubSpot) Social media platforms like YouTube are a huge hit with youngsters and adults. But here’s the kicker: They are equally popular among older adults as well. More than eight out of ten internet users in the US not only know this platform but they also regularly use it. Google-owned YouTube is truly making some vibes on the internet!
YouTube Users by Country
7. More than 15.5% of global visitors are Americans
As YouTube is an American product, it should come as no surprise that the US has the highest number of viewers of this video platform.
But how about this?
8. The second-highest viewership comes from India (8.2%).
According to the YouTube statistics by country, after the US, India has the second-highest viewership with 8.2%. Japan comes third with 4.7% viewership, and Russia is fourth with 4.5%.
And despite being the largest country by population in the world, China comes in fifth place with 3.4%.
Of course, Google and all its services have to face stiff competition in China because of a variety of local social platforms.
And above all that… the average viewer of this platform spends at least five hours every month. This data is based on Comscore YouTube demographics.
If you think that this is impressive, then have a look at the next one!
9. YouTube is available in more than 91 countries.
The popularity of this platform is quite evident by the fact that it is available in close to 100 different countries with their own content. This is a platform where people from across the world bind together. So, marketing agencies can create content that is truly global yet local in every aspect.
Here is another fact for you to notice the true international power of YouTube!
10. It is available in 80 different languages.
The best thing about YouTube – and the one that truly makes it unique and global – is that it is available in 80 different languages. This means it can easily connect with more than 95% of the global population on the internet in a lingo that is most convenient for them to understand.
YouTube Users by Gender
11. Over 62% of YouTube viewers are males.
According to the latest statistics, over six out of ten viewers are males.
YouTube gender demographics clearly suggest this is only going to increase with time. But females are not far behind. While men prefer to watch sports and strategy games, women prefer to watch beauty and cooking videos.
Most YouTube Viewers Statistics
12. Over 81% of the parents in the US use the platform for children’s content.
YouTube viewer demographics also provide valuable insight into the fact that the vast majority of parents in the United States use YouTube to find appropriate content for their children.
This is another clear reason why parents who already know how to find relevant content in the world’s second-largest search engine can use it for a variety of purposes.
Besides that, the demographics of YouTube users also indicate that it is also the world’s second-largest social media platform as well.
Now then, here are some important trends for you to consider for the next years!
13. More than 18% of the adults in the US get their news from this platform.
Approximately two-thirds of US adults get their news from this platform. For this reason, a number of brands such as Cisco, Adobe, Microsoft, and others use YouTube for sharing news or any of those press releases.
If you are not surprised by that, here are a couple of things to shake you up!
2020 YouTube Demographics Trends
14. YouTube will earn an estimated $5.5 billion in the US in 2020 in ad revenue.
According to a YouTube demographics report, the platform will earn a whopping $5.5 billion in ad revenue this year. This is double the amount the social media giant made back in 2016.
This is all due to the increase in online video content consumption in recent years. And the interesting thing about this fact is that the year-over-year growth in revenue has been very consistent since 2016.
15. YouTube viewership will carry on growing in 2020.
The number of videos going around the internet will reach 1 million per second in 2020. Despite the increased use of videos over time, some marketers are still not into it because they don’t have enough time to create their content in videos.
The thing is:
Video creation requires a good period of time compared to other content types. Another reason some content marketers don’t always use it is either because they don’t know where to start or because it’s quite expensive.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What percentage of YouTube users is male?
A: More than 62% of the users of this platform are males, YouTube demographics. And as we have mentioned above, they prefer to watch strategy games and soccer. They love to use this platform on their mobile devices.
Q: What age group watches YouTube the most?
A: The age group that watches the most YouTube is 15 to 25. With more specificity, the age group to 18 to 24 comprises of more frequent users of YouTube. However, with the passage of time, more and more people are turning their backs on broadcast television and cable networks and shifting to YouTube to watch their favorite shows.
Q: Which country has the most YouTube users?
A: In 2019, India’s active YouTube users became more than 225 million. It is by far the most popular application in the country. And the growth of these users over the years has been increasing as well, according to these app usage statistics.
And on that note…
Over time, this platform has shown a steady growth that has slowed down slightly in recent years. But if you study the latest trends, you will see that the numbers are still pretty staggering. It has come very close to Facebook.
This is important:
One thing that you can understand from YouTube user demographics is that more than 80% of the viewership comes from outside the US. And with age and gender statistics, you can see that different users engage in a different manner.
This is a highly effective tool that you can use to target your audience and boost your revenue from a specific group with their unique needs and demands. The most engaging content available on the internet is video-based. And for this reason, YouTube is one of the best options for online marketers to consider, as the latest stats about YouTube demographics clearly show.